Tranby Co-operative Ltd
This cooperative for Aborigines was founded by Reverend Alf Clint and the Australian Board of Missions in 1957 and took on the name of the sandstone building, Tranby, in which it was housed. It provided courses to Aboriginal and Islander people from all over Australia. Moa Island and Yarrabah people were trained to run their own cooperative bakeries; and the people from Cabbage Tree Island learned bookkeepng in order to run their own cooperative.
Tranby was more than a school, becoming a meeting place and a centre in many struggles for justice. In 1962 it became independent of the Board of Missions. Today it is known as Tranby Aboriginal College, and provides secondary and tertiary courses as well as responding to community needs by offering, for example, a course in Land Council Management.